I think side dishes are probably one of the most difficult parts of cooking on Keto. And it’s not so much due to super high cooking skill requirements that they have. It’s just that you can’t wave it off and throw potatoes everywhere knowing full well it will do.
For me personally, cooking main dishes can be exhausting. That’s why I love low-maintenance things like whole roast chicken, because I can simply throw it into the oven and have time to focus all my attention on the side dish I want to go along with it.
But of course, sometimes you don’t have the luxury of having extra time to allocate to cooking side dishes. This is where easy and quick recipes come in handy. And not many dishes are quicker and easier than this cheese broccoli rice!
Cheesy Keto Broccoli Rice
- 4 cups broccoli riced
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 oz cream cheese
- a splash of heavy cream optional, but recommended
- butter for cooking or olive oil
- salt, pepper to taste
- Using your food processor, make broccoli rice. The method here is the same as the one you'd normally use to make cauli rice – cut into florets and pulse until they reach desired consistency.
- Place a pan over medium fire and add butter, allowing it to melt. Add minced garlic and sauté, until fragrant for about a minute.
- Add broccoli rice to the pan and cook until softened, stirring constantly. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add a splash of cream to your rice, then follow it up by adding cream cheese and shredded Cheddar. Stir and cook until everything melts and the sauce comes together, coating all of your broccoli rice in cheese and creamy goodness. Boy, I'm drooling just writing this.
- Add more cheese or cream if needed. Once you're satisfied with the overall texture of your dish, remove from the heat and serve.