So, I was browsing through my old recipes, trying to figure out what to share with you today, when I stumbled upon my Tuscan Chicken and Tuscan Salmon recipes. This was when I realized (with deep regret) that I have wronged all my fellow Keto vegetarians by keeping my Tuscan Mushroom recipe from them!
I personally think that being a vegetarian on Keto is very restrictive. This is precisely why I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone. However, my disapproval doesn’t mean much. There are many Keto vegetarians and even vegans out there, that are proving me wrong every day. And to that I say: more power to them!
But just power isn’t enough. Knowing how to make these delicious Tuscan mushrooms is a must… Hence me sharing the recipe. A couple of recommendations and notes: I prefer to use small mushrooms for the recipe, as I think they work better with the texture of the dish. However, if your mushrooms are large, simply cutting them in half with work. You will see that I use beef stock, which of course is out of question on the vegetarian diet. Feel free to use vegetable stock or just skip using stock altogether.
Keto Tuscan Mushrooms
- 1 1/2 lbs mushrooms washed, dried with paper towel
- 2 cups spinach
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup beef stock optional
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes can use fresh cherry tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic minced, can use more
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- Place a large skillet over medium heat and add butter. Allow it to melt and brown a little.
- Add garlic to the melted butter and sauté until fragrant. It's okay for it to brown a little, but, for the love of God, do NOT burn it.
- Turn the heat up and enter our superstar mushrooms! Cook them until they are beautifully brown and caramelized from all sides.
- When that's done, it's time to add our sun-dried tomatoes. Allow them to cook for a couple of minutes.
- Now add heavy cream and stock, bring to a simmer and cook, while stirring, until the sauce thickens – it should significantly reduce in size. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add spinach to to the pan and cook, stirring, until it starts to wilt. Add grated Parmesan cheese and let the dish simmer, until the cheese has melted.
- Remove from heat and garnish with fresh parsley. Serve and enjoy!