A quick, Keto-friendly snack that’s crunchy on the outside but creamy inside? Is that even possible? Yes, if we’re talking about these delicious avocado fries!
I’m not going to sit here and claim that these taste ‘just like regular fries’. They don’t, and I don’t see any scenario whereby avocados can ever taste like potatoes. But despite that, these fries are absolutely delicious and have their very own flavor and texture. There’s absolutely no reason to diminish that by trying to compare them with something else.
These make a great snack or a side for a lettuce burger (recipe for that is coming soon). You can try them with different sauces, like garlic yoghurt dip, or simply serve with some sour cream, if you don’t feel creative. They will be delicious either way!
Keto Avocado Fries
- Lined baking sheet
- 2 avocados ripe, but firm
- 1/3 cup blanched almond flour
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1 egg
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder optional
- 1/2 tsp chili powder optional
- cooking spray
- Preheat your oven to 425 F and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut each avocado in half, remove the pit and the skin, then slice avocados into wedges.
- Place avocado wedges in a bowl, or on a plate and squeeze lemon juice all over them – this little hack will prevent them from getting bitter while cooking.
- Take some parmesan cheese, cut it into cubes and add them to a food processor. I have nothing against using pre-grated parmesan, but for this recipe it's better if we grate it ourselves.
- Pulse parmesan for a bit, then add almond flour and pulse some more, until the breading looks a bit like sand. And any spices you want and pulse a couple of more times. Transfer the breading to a separate bowl.
- Break an egg into a bowl and beat it lightly.
- Now, just like we did with zucchini fries, we'll need to create an 'assembly line', so that our fries turn out as crispy as possible and we don't have to clean the entire kitchen afterwards. Arrange your ingredients and kitchen utensils in the following order: sliced avocados, egg wash, breading mix, then lined baking sheet.
- Using one hand, take an avocado wedge, dip it in egg wash and shake off any excess. Press the wedge in your breading mix and using another hand, make sure that it's well coated from all sides. We're using two hands because parmesan mixture will get messed up if you get egg wash in it. Transfer your beautiful avocado fry to a baking sheet and repeat the process with the rest of the wedges.
- Spray your fries with some cooking spray and transfer into the pre-heated oven. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until golden.
- Remove from the oven and serve on a plate with a dipping sauce of your choice.