It’s been three whole days since I last shared a breakfast recipe with you. And, in my opinion, that’s already pushing it.
I’m not going to proclaim my love for breakfast foods again – I believe I’ve made it fairly clear by now. So, as long as we all agree that they are the best thing in the whole wide world, we’re good.
My first encounter with a dish known as a breakfast skillet, or ‘breakfast hash’ occurred pretty recently – in 2015… Wait, how in the world was that 5 years ago?! I keep thinking it was just yesterday, or maybe the day before yesterday – tops. Is five years ago even considered recent? Give me a moment – I’m having a bit of an existential crisis here.
Alright, I think I’m okay now. So, the first time I tried breakfast hash was at a local Belgian waffle joint, where we’d go almost every time my brother had a gig. I know, trying potato dishes at a waffle place sounds a bit weird, but that’s what everyone recommended when I asked what was good. So I shrugged and ordered the famous ‘hash’… at two in the morning. And, boy, was that a revelation!
I was served a giant plate with a small mountain of hash browns on it, mixed with ham, bacon, onions, bell peppers & mushrooms. Sounds good, doesn’t it? Well it gets better: all of that was covered in the ooey gooey goodness known as melted cheese. I mean, I was in a food coma pretty much after the second bite, but I’m very fond of that memory.
A lot of time has passed since then (evidently) and having potato-loaded meals in the middle of the night is no longer an option. But no one said we couldn’t have a Keto friendly version of this dish in the middle of the day. Last time I checked, this was a free country! So pull out a large skillet, get your ingredients in order and chop-chop!
Keto Breakfast ‘Hash’
- 1 lbs cauliflower cut into tiny florets
- 1 lbs mushrooms quartered
- 7 oz bacon and ham bite-sized pieces
- 4 eggs or more, if skillet size allows
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 white onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- salt, pepper to taste
- Place a large skillet over medium heat and add to it ham and bacon, cut in bite-sized pieces. Fry until crispy, then remove to a plate, lined with paper towels. Keep the grease!
- Add garlic, onion, cauliflower florets, mushrooms and bell pepper to the same skillet. Season with salt and pepper.
- Fry until your mushrooms begin to turn golden brown. Then add a splash of water and cover the pan with a lid. Cook for around 5 minutes or until cauliflower gets tender. Add more water if needed.
- Using a spatula, move vegetables around, leaving several 'holes' in the pan. Crack an egg into each hole and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with shredded cheese, bacon and ham bits all over the skillet, then cover with the lid again. Cook for 5 more minutes, or until eggs reach your desired level of doneness.
- Serve and enjoy!