I’ve noticed that lamb chops tend to have a bit of a reputation. At least among people around me.
Most have decided that lamb chops are exclusively for dining out only. As if unless you’re having a dinner at a fancy restaurant, lamb chops are restricted territory.
I honestly do not understand where the notion came from, but I do know that even in households that cook meat often, lamb chops are not the most popular choice.
Which is a shame if you ask me, considering lamb chops are a quick and fairly easy dinner. All you need is a good skillet and a generous amount of butter. Well, maybe some garlic and herbs for extra flavor.
Want to impress guests with a restaurant-style dinner? Maybe top the lamb chops off with a wine reduction sauce or real Spanish aioli for an extra special touch. But honestly, that’s entirely optional.
- A small mixing bowl
- A garlic press (optional)
- A brush (optional)
- A large pan or skillet
- A stove
- 8 1-inch thick lamb chops (loin or rib)
- 2-4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 finely crushed cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh thyme (can be substituted for 1 tsp dried)
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh rosemary (can be substituted for 1 tsp dried)
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh oregano (can be substituted for 1 tsp dried)
- Salt and black pepper
- In a small mixing bowl combine olive oil, finely crushed garlic (use a garlic press if you have one), thyme, rosemary, and oregano.
- Generously salt and pepper the lamb chops from both sides. Then brush the oil-herb mixture on top (again, from both sides). Use a spoon, if you don't have a brush.
- Optional: for a stronger flavor, after you brush the lamb chops with the oil mixture, pop them in a fridge for an hour or two, and let them marinate.
- Melt 2 tbsp butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the butter melts, place the lamb chops in the skillet. Fry for 4-6 minutes per side, for them medium-rare, or a couple of minutes more for medium. If you feel like the pan is getting dry, add a couple of extra chunks of butter.
- Serve right away, with a sauce and a side dish of your choice.