Hey boys and girls! Today I’m back with another recipe for a salad… but this isn’t just another salad. What makes this salad special is the fact that we will be serving it warm. And there’s a good reason for that.
Don’t get me wrong – Kale is a wonderful ingredient. It’s low in carbs, rich in fiber and packs more vitamins and amazing nutrients than I can ever hope to remember. It’s also beautifully green. But, boy, is it tough. And not in the good, mentally-strong way. I mean tough as in ‘I don’t know if I’ll be able to chew this’ kinda way. That’s why I actually prefer to sauté kale leaves before I use them as a base for my salad – it’s a texture thing for me and 100% just personal preference.
This salad can easily be made vegetarian – just skip the bacon and cook your kale in a couple of tablespoons of butter or olive oil. When I don’t feel like going for a fatty, heavy cream dressing, I just drizzle this goodness with some balsamic vinegar instead.
Warm Keto Kale Salad
- 2 cups kale washed and chopped
- 4 slice bacon
- 1/4 cup feta cheese
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp sour cream or mayo
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp garlic minced
- nuts of choice for garnish
- salt, pepper to taste
- Place a pan over medium heat. Cut bacon into cubes and add them to the pan. Cook for a couple of minutes, until bacon gets crispy. Remove bacon from the pan and set aside on a plate, lined with a paper towel.
- Add kale to the same pan and sauté for 1-2 minutes in bacon grease, until it's slightly wilted.
- Add kale to a large salad bowl and top with crumbled feta cheese.
- In a small bowl or a ramekin, combine together heavy cream, sour cream/mayo, Dijon mustard and garlic.
- Pour the dressing over your salad, add bacon cubes and season with salt and pepper. Top with nuts and serve warm.